Friday, April 24, 2009

Grace

Cheer tryouts were today for my 9, almost 10 year old daughter. Didn't go well according to her. All her friends made the squad she wanted to be on. She has spent the better part of the evening in tears. She is finally asleep. Not so sure that the pressure that she puts on herself is altogether healthy for her. I don't think I really understood how bad she really wanted to make the competition squad. She did make game squad, but she is feeling completely left behind. Tough life lesson here. Life is full of disappointments, but it's how you deal with them and then move on that helps to shape your character. Pretty difficult for a 9, almost 10 year old to comprehend. *sniff, sniff*
On a side note: I did tell her that I would be willing to pay for private lessons (dance, gymnastics or whatever) to help with her skills so that she could gain some confidence for next year. Her response; As long as it doesn't interfere with Vacation Bible School......I just love my little Grace....That was not the answer I was expecting, but it was the right answer.

4 comments:

MamaLieder said...

Awww that is so hard I bet. I can't even imagine.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Tough lesson to learn as a young girl. But I love her response about VBS.

My hand is getting better. It is still stiff. I haven't been doing my exercises faithfully. Who would have thought a little cyst would require physical therapy...but I guess the dang thing attached to a joint and weakened it a little.

Carrie said...

Um...sister...why didn't I know this? We talk every day and you say NOTHING!

NO CAPES! (you know...The Incredibles?)

Your new sister knew before I did!!!! Hahaa!! I kill me!

But really, poor Grace. Way to step in there with dance lessons, though. You're quick, I'll give you that (even if you're slow on the draw when it comes to telling muh-wa!)

I love that she loves VBS so much. You're doing something right, girl! :)

Brooke said...

Ditto on Carrie's last sentence...that is something every believing mom would LOVE to hear!!!